Customer Service Guide (Human Services Specialist 1)
Company: State of Oregon
Posted on: August 2, 2022
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Human Services
$2,723 - $3,951
Customer Service Guide (Human Services Specialist 1)
We want you to join our team!
Are you passionate about serving your community and helping
Oregonians out of poverty? Do you have experience with a high
volume of customer contact? Then we want to hear from you!
The Office of Self Sufficiency, which is part of the Oregon
Department of Human Services (ODHS), is looking to hire an
individual that delivers excellent customer service and creates a
welcoming environment as a Customer Service Guide in Corvallis. In
this role you will aid individuals and families seeking services
from our agency programs and resources.
ODHS: A place to belong and make a difference!
When you join the ODHS team, you join a community of nearly 10,000
employees dedicated to serving Oregon's most vulnerable
Our Mission is to help Oregonians in their own communities achieve
wellbeing and independence through opportunities that protect,
empower, respect choice and preserve dignity.
We are committed to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and
diversity in all that we do. We are an affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity employer and encourage applications from members of
historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women,
individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQIA+ community members
and others to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive
We are committed to building an antiracist and equitable agency.
Equity is foundational to our role as a human services agency, and
we are committed to integrating equity into all we do. The Equity
North Star has four points that explain the agency's goals related
to equity, inclusion and racial justice.
At ODHS you
* Find connections through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs);
officially chartered groups organized around shared cultural
identity(ies) to support historically underrepresented ODHS
* Become a RiSe Champion while making ODHS a better place to work
and serve our communities. Through RiSe, we are intentional about
our culture to ensure we lead with our mission, vision, and values,
the Equity North Star and our commitment to being a trauma-informed
* Grow your career through free leadership training, ample career
pathways and committee participation opportunities.
* Enjoy work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work
schedules, and competitive benefits packages.
To learn more about our agency, click here.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
As the first face of contact in most field offices for customers
either entering the physical office or virtually through the online
application portal or telephone communication, this position will
contribute to the welcoming environment as families interact with
In supporting the day-to-day operations of the office, this
position will primarily:
* Support the infrastructure of the office.
* Work with Oregonians to utilize the online Oregon Eligibility
system for programs such as SNAP, TANF, and ERDC and Medical, by
phone or/and in person to resolve any questions or concerns.
* Greeting and assisting Oregonians through a trauma informed
* Provides financial desk responsibilities as assigned.
* Supports the business support functions within the office.
* Providing support to branch staff in supporting the work and the
families using the case aid model.
* Experience constant contact with the public, including contact
with and possibly de-escalating customers experiencing emotional
and financial stress.
* Experience high volume of computer work, using various computer
programs in a fast-paced team environment.
* Priorities and procedures may change daily and requires the
ability to be flexible in application of procedures.
* May require a valid driver's license or other acceptable method
WHAT YOU NEED TO QUALIFY:
* Two years of experience either interviewing to obtain personal or
technical information or substantial people contact. This
experience must have involved a high volume of paperwork (e.g.,
assuring information on forms is complete and accurate, completing
necessary documents, etc.).
* College-level courses may be substituted for the experience on a
year-for-year basis. A photocopy of your transcripts must be
attached to your application materials if using college courses to
meet the minimum qualifications.
* Individuals with bilingual language skills are encouraged to
apply. Bilingual differential pay is contingent upon passing
test(s) evaluating your proficiency in another language. Please
note, bilingual language skills are not a requirement for this
You must clearly show that you meet the minimum qualifications in
your application or resume to be considered for an interview. Your
application or resume will be used in determining what pay salary
step you fall in with the pay equity assessment.
ESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTES: Successful candidates will possess these
technical/soft skills. You do not need to have all these attributes
to be considered for this opening; however, the most competitive
candidates will have experience with most of them.
* Customer Service: Calm, clear, professional communication skills
to ensure quality customer service daily by telephone, in writing
or in person.
* Computer Skills: Understanding of Computer Operating Systems and
Web Browsers to assist with troubleshooting, quality keyboarding,
* Active listening: Ability to provide timely and accurate
information to participants. Using skills to elicit information
from customers for assistance with programs and services.
* Communication: Strong ability to communicate with diverse groups
and individuals in areas such as, responding to inquiries,
narrative reports, and instructional materials with limited
supervision. Experience explaining regulations and procedures for
ODHS programs and services.
* Team-Oriented: Ability to work well and thrive in a team
* Flexible: Ability to be flexible and take direction when work
priorities or schedules shift.
* Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a
computerized criminal history and abuse check. Adverse background
information will be reviewed and could result in withdrawal of a
conditional job offer or termination of employment.
* The Oregon Department of Human Services does not offer visa
sponsorship. Applicants who require VISA sponsorship will not be
considered at this time. Within three days of hire, you will be
required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9
form confirming authorization to work in the United States. ODHS
will use E-Verify to confirm that you are authorized to work in the
HOW TO APPLY:
Your work history profile, cover letter, and resume are the perfect
opportunity to highlight your interest in the position and showcase
the amazing skills and experience, that make you the best candidate
for the position.
Please upload a resume or complete the work history profile.
Note: Your resume may be uploaded in the Resume/CV field on the
External Applicants: Click on the "Apply" button and submit your
application. View this video for help.
Internal Applicants (Current State of Oregon employees): Apply via
your employee Workday account. View this job aid for help.
If you are a veteran wishing to have veterans' preference, your
will receive a task in your workday account to provide military
documents if you have not already provided them. For privacy
reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service
preference letter to your application. For questions about
documentation, please visit: Veterans Resources.
* This position is represented by the Service Employees
International Union (SEIU).
* Please note, this recruitment may be used to fill future
* For questions about the job duties or application process, please
contact email@example.com . Please be sure to
include the job requisition number.
* If you need an accommodation under the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) to participate in the application or
selection process, please contact our ADA Office at
Keywords: State of Oregon, Corvallis , Customer Service Guide (Human Services Specialist 1), Hospitality & Tourism , Corvallis, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!