Mechanical 2 (Mechanical Systems Engineer)
Company: NuScale Power, LLC
Posted on: May 3, 2021
NOTE: Position is open to remote work location within the United
States and will be dependent on candidate's ability to be
productive in a remote work setting. Preference will be given to
those open to relocating to Corvallis, OR.
POSITION SUMMARY: The mechanical systems design engineering
organization generates technical requirements and advances the
design of the fluid systems within the NuScale Power Plant.
Utilizing proven state-of-the-art methodologies, the nuclear steam
supply system (NSSS) and balance of plant (BOP) systems are
engineered to nuclear industry standards. The person in this
position supports the advancement of NSSS and BOP design by
utilizing fluid system design methodologies and intuition to
perform engineering calculations, engineering reports, and generate
engineering drawings in accordance with NuScale Power procedures
and applicable Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform engineering evaluations by applying sound engineering
thermal hydraulics and structural mechanics fundamentals, including
familiarity with standard system design software (e.g. AFT
- Prepare and review engineering specifications, drawings, and
other documentation that communicate the design and technical
aspects of components, systems, and structures associated NSSS or
BOP systems. Works on complex tasks in multiple and diverse areas
and proposes innovative design solutions.
- Interprets scope and project requirements to develop design
alternatives when required.
- Plans, organizes, and performs complex assignments in a team
- Engage with NRC staff and NuScale licensing staff to support
the review of the NuScale Power Design Certification Application
and other licensing efforts as needed.
- Act as technical lead for vendor design and procurement
contracts. Additionally, support customer technical requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the
individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the
essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily
in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely
manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own
judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team
members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks
clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for
accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex
written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal
networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities,
organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks
project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment,
manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent
interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to
management expectations and solicits feedback to improve
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal
networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is
expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrates understanding and
implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and
guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and ASME NQA-1.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone,
personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and
understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a
rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk;
bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands
- Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and
responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety
threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to
describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended
to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties and/or skills required of all employees in this
Keywords: NuScale Power, LLC, Corvallis , Mechanical 2 (Mechanical Systems Engineer), Other , Corvallis, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!